[ntp:questions] NTP socket in use error message

Mike Robinson BlackMagic at computer.org
Thu Jan 8 08:41:18 UTC 2004

I've got ntp-4.2.0 running successfully on more than a dozen hosts under Redhat 8.0.

Today I restarted ntpd on one of the hosts and got this message:
service ntpd restart
Shutting down ntpd:                                        [  OK  ]
ntpd: Synchronizing with time server: Looking for host 132.163.4.102 and service ntp
host found : time-B.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov
                                                           [FAILED]
The system log shows this message:
ntpdate[13944]: the NTP socket is in use, exiting
and /var/log/ntp.log shows that ntpd was running before I restarted it:
8 Jan 01:34:03 ntpd[30241]: synchronized to 132.163.4.102, stratum=1
8 Jan 15:11:00 ntpd[30241]: ntpd exiting on signal 15

Rebooting the machine doesn't fix the problem, and lsof -c ntpd produces nothing. I've deleted ntp* in /usr/local/bin and recompiled the source and rebooted the system but ntpd just won't start.

I've searched the recent archives looking for references to sockets, but found only one unrelated message.

Any ideas anyone?

MJR