[ntp:questions] Re: auto overwritten /etc/ntp.conf?

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Mon Jan 12 00:11:14 UTC 2004

>I have in hand for evaluation a NTP server which synchronizes to GPS
>indirectly via the CDMA cellular network. That's cool, but the network
>interface configuration defaults to DHCP. Obviously, the makers don't
>have much experience in running public servers.

I'm not a sysadmin wizard.

Defaulting to DHCP lets you get off the ground without a serial
connection or such to tell it its IP Address.

I think there are some sites that configure machines with fixed IP addresses
using DHCP.  The info is stored in the DHCP data base rather than
distributed around on all the systems.  (I assume you have to start
the DHCP server early in the recover-from-no-power sequence, and it
can't use the NTP server...  But that recipe is always "interesting".)