[ntp:questions] wireless routers beating on NTP servers

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus20040115T195425 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Fri Jan 16 04:13:35 UTC 2004

I just picked up one of those $85 Linksys WRT54G home wireless
routers.  I knew it was an embedded Linux host when I bought it, but
I'd completely forgotten about the Netgear debacle.  Imagine my
surprise after I configured everything that it allows you to configure
and I slap a tcpdump on the line and notice that it is pestering these
NTP hosts every 60 seconds:

     time.chttl.com
     time.nist.gov
     time.stdtime.gov.tw
     210.59.157.10

Why don't they let you set the NTP hosts it contacts?  I could give it
an (ahem) stratum 1 only a 0.3ms hop away.  If the guys at NIST are
wondering why their packet load is through the roof.  I think I can
give them one reason.  (And yes, this is with the most recent linksys
wrt54g firmware, v2.00.8)

Now to figure out how I can stop if from doing this nonsense without
doing a binary edit of the eeprom.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
       The above "From:" address is valid.  Don't mess with it.