[ntp:questions] Re: Setting up a synchronization network

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at acm.org
Fri Jan 16 23:55:09 UTC 2004

In the last exciting episode, "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I did ask my ISP (Comcast), at home, about NTP servers.  Their tech
> support promptly gave me a bogus IP address and hung up.   The IP
> address was not reachable and was recorded as belonging to the
> Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA).  Does any one know if
> Comcast has such a server?
> It's not terribly important at home; I only have six computers running
> and it's a hobby/self study lab.

You might want to do a "traceroute" to some place you expect to be a
fair ways away.

Traceroute will list all of the hosts it goes through along the way
(barring some virtualization "magic.")

It is quite likely that many of those hosts you go through along the
way, and thereby demonstrably have permission to access :-), will have
NTP servers running on them.  That's what I found.  My ISP can't spell
NTP, as far as the public is concerned, but they have hosts routing
traffic that do...
--
"cbbrowne","@","acm.org"
http://cbbrowne.com/info/sap.html