[ntp:questions] Re: wireless routers beating on NTP servers

Craig E. Johnston craig.e.johnston at boeing.com
Sat Jan 17 00:03:09 UTC 2004

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> "Craig E. Johnston" <craig.e.johnston at boeing.com> writes:
>
>>That's strange, I also recently setup a WRT54G (Firmware 1.30.7) and
>>it has a place to specify an NTP server (or auto) on the initial setup
>>page.  I'm suprised they would remove this option.  Could it be hiding
>>on some other page?
>

> Well, my eyesight isn't what is used to be, so after your post I was
> worried I'd missed something.  But nope, even after another methodical
> search I couldn't find it on any other screen.
>
> What I did notice was the main HTML page http://ROUTERNAME/index.asp
> has some commented out code in the html (folks with this firmware can
> search for "<!--TR>").  That code presented a box labeled "Time
> Setting" with the choices "Manually" (year/month/mday/hour/min/sec
> inputting) or "Automatically".  I don't immediately see where it
> allowed a selection of NTP servers.  It looks like the only choices
> would have been "ntp on" (with their choice of servers)" or "ntp off"
> entirely.
>
> I've edited that page to add back the commented out code.  This is
> what it would look like had the setting been exposed:
>
>         http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/private/linksys-main.html
>
> -wolfgang

I looked around, and others have commented on the loss of the NTP server
selection from recent firmware versions.  A custom (better?) version of
the firmware for the WRT54G can be had from here;

http://www.sveasoft.com/forum8.html

Many new features and bug fixes.  See this for a solution to the NTP
problem;

http://www.sveasoft.com/postt59.html

Craig