[ntp:questions] Re: Is compression of the NTP negotiation possible?

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Sat Jan 17 09:19:21 UTC 2004

[connected via dialup 2 hours out of 24]

>    You probably don't want to use 'ntp'. It's not really designed for this
>type of application. You could just run 'ntpdate' right after you connect.

I agree, but what would you do if you had those constraints
and wanted to run a ntp like program?

Running ntpdate whenever you connect doesn't do anything to correct for
the normal/static/average drift.  You should be able to correct for
most of it if you get connected occasionally.