[ntp:questions] Re: Is compression of the NTP negotiation possible?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.not-this-bit
Sat Jan 17 10:17:32 UTC 2004

> I agree, but what would you do if you had those constraints
> and wanted to run a ntp like program?
>
> Running ntpdate whenever you connect doesn't do anything to correct for
> the normal/static/average drift.  You should be able to correct for
> most of it if you get connected occasionally.

As I recall, the Windows program Tardis will attempt to do a frequency
correction rather than a step correction, if you configure it that way.
It will work on dial-up.  I don't know if it will meet the OP's exact
requirements, though.