[ntp:questions] Re: wireless routers beating on NTP servers

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus20040117T100936 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Sat Jan 17 18:19:38 UTC 2004

sully-usenet at stargazy.org (David Sullivan) writes:
> If this is just after poweron and it's running an embedded Linux it's
> possible it might be the normal ntp software doing it's initial dance.
> These devices may increase their polling interval and properly respect
> ignorance and KoD in the normal way (which at least might be something
> compared to the netgear and smc debacles).

This was after hours of being powered up.  I was monitoring it to see
if anyone would spot the powered up WEP-less AP.  All the packet
traffic was NTP, ARP and DNS.  Pages and pages of it.  (As an aside,
the darn thing needed to query DNS and re-ARP the same address every
couple of seconds.  It has got to have the shortest DNS and ARP
timeouts I've ever seen.  The NTP servers is not the only thing this
thing beats up on.)

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
       The above "From:" address is valid.  Don't mess with it.