[ntp:questions] Re: wireless routers beating on NTP servers

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus20040117T190822 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Sun Jan 18 03:51:32 UTC 2004

"David L. Mills" <mills at udel.edu> writes:
> Can you reveal the UDP source port number? Very likely it is the same in
> all units, at least in the same version. This is how the perps were
> detected in the Netgear incident. We should add a blacklist feature to
> the ntpd access controls where known perps would be discarded on the
> basis of UDP source port number.

I'm now running the hacked firmware from http://www.sveasoft.com/ .
The port I'm seeing now is 2048/udp .  That number almost certainly is
determined by the startup order of the processes in the box.  The
ntpclient source code I downloaded from Linksys's site simply opens an
ephemeral port.

Another way of detecting the NTP requests from the current firmware is
to note the reference timestamp in the ntp packet.  If the reference
is consistently off by some multiple of 3600 seconds then you can
safely drop the packet.  The way I see it, somebody that is
consistently off by 3600 seconds has no business talking to a stratum
1 anyway.  (My guess is that they botch UTC vs. local time.  If I set
the timezone to 0 I get a reference that is close to correct.)

> A skeptic might come to suspect this and the Netgear incident might be
> more sinister than first suspected and might conceivably be a terrorist
> plot. There might be a design team contracted by Linksys to construct an
> otherwise innocent program but actually indended to create a million
> zombies. A small number of these perps that light up a few times per
> minute might not be noticed, but the Netgear incident involved some
> 750,000 perps all imploding on the same server.

It is good to keep things like this in the back of one's mind.  The
current spam war has already escalated to the point that the spammers
are commanding large numbers of trojaned windoze boxes to focus a DOS
attack on anti-spam sites.  Any US adversary could do the same without
the risk of embedding some "smoking gun" software in a home router.

Lets home the critical infrastructure can be convinced to buy their
own GPS based stratum-1's to supplement external time sources.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
       The above "From:" address is valid.  Don't mess with it.