[ntp:questions] Re: Clock selection?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.not-this-bit
Mon Jan 19 16:40:17 UTC 2004

t know that the winner selected by
> the algorithm contravenes the intended design or not. Selection is a
> dynamic process and can change from update to update. Every time a new
> update is received the selection algorithm runs with the current
> offset/jitter data. To conclude the clustering algorithm is or is not
> losing its mind, you have to look at the peerstats data on the occasion
> of each update and evaluate the same data the algorithm does. I have
> done this many, many times and found many cases where the algorithm
> seems to be doing odd things that under analysis were completely correct
> according to principle. I'm not interested in replicating your suggested
> scenario, since the original poster can do that so easily using the
> peerstats data and the algorithms described in the briefing.
>
> Dave

Dave, again many thanks for that.  It is at least encouraging to know that
the observation is not an unusual one, and has been seen many times
before, and I would not want you to waste time going over old ground.

Indeed, I am one of the many people who _may_ be subject to an
asymmetrical delay, and am therefore living a few milliseconds differently
to the rest of the NTP world!

Cheers,
David