[ntp:questions] Re: How to set up a windows 2000 workstation as a NTP time server.

Bobby pmpradh at accusort.com
Wed Jan 21 23:35:08 UTC 2004

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.not-this-bit> wrote in message news:<yNePb.4957$mL6.62551257 at news-text.cableinet.net>...
> > I installed NTP V4.2.0 downloaded from www.norloff.org on one
> > of my windows 2000 box. and used ntpdate command to sync with
> > time.nist.gov it works fine. Start the service ntpd and it seem
> > synchronizing the time correctly.
>
> I don't use ntpdate, and I suspect you won't either once your Windows 200
> box is running.
>
> > Now, how do I set this workstation as NTP server so that other
> > workstations can use same ntpdate or ntpd (networktimeprotocol
> > service)to synchronize the time with this windows 2000 workstation.
>
> Prajit,
>
> You have already done it!
>
> You should be able to point any workstation, Unix or Windows, which is
> running ntpd at your Windows 2000 system, and use that system as an ntpd
> sync source.  I would suggest installing ntpd on your PC-based
> workstations as well, but if they are running Windows 9X you will need to
> find alternative software such asTardis.
>
> Have you tried it?
>
> Does it work?
>
> Cheers,
> David

Dave,

First I thank you for the comment or say compliment
"You have already done it!"

Have you tried it?
Yes, and is not working.

Does it work?
No with ntpd and yes with ntpdate. As you mentioned
I would like to use ntpd service only not a command
line.

I think I still need to learn more about this and
study more about it or extract more from you...

Now I created a so called sync source on one of my
Windows 2000 box(10.27.161.66 is its IP). Where the
ntp.conf file has following two lines

server 192.43.244.18   # time.nist.gov
server 209.81.9.7      # clock.via.net

I set the time little off from the correct time (locally)
about 3 minutes and restart the workstation.

ntpq -p gives as follows
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
 time.nist.gov   .ACTS.           1 u 1313  256  340  290.395   78.499  38.315
 clock.via.net   204.123.2.72     2 u 1055  256  200  310.407   81.808  18.564

But it does not seem like it corrected the time even after 2 hours.

Then I stopped ntpd (renamed Networktimeprotocol service to ntpd in
windows 2000) and used
ntpdate -b time.nist.gov

it gave me output like
      step time server 192.43.244.18 offset 193.456754 sec

and corrected the time.

Now, Why it is not correcting the time just by running ntpd?
How frequently it (ntpd) synchronize the time with the time
server specified in ntp.conf?
I know there must be a way to change those parameters.. but
I couldn't to find out. If it needs more parameters in
ntp.conf to achive the automatic time synchronization ..
please guide me through also the frequency of synchronization.

I set up another Windows 2000 box with ntpd and it has ntp.conf
as follows

server 10.27.161.66

Started the ntpd on it but it does not seem its time
has been synchronized with the server stated in ntp.conf.

Here also I stopped the ntpd and used
ntpdate -b 10.27.161.66

Which worked fine and synchronized the time.

I am sure I am missing quite a lot here. So could you please
guide me through this.

Thanks you in advance.

Prajit,