[ntp:questions] Re: wireless routers beating on NTP servers

Dale Worley worley at dragon.ariadne.com
Thu Jan 22 16:41:12 UTC 2004

Nelson Minar <nelson at monkey.org> writes:
> What amazes me most is that no one at Linksys apparently ever caught
> this. Wolfgang spent two hours with a quiet device and monitored the
> traffic to find this problem. You'd think someone at Linksys would
> have thought to try the same thing. Didn't it ever occur to them to
> examine what packets their Internet device sends out?

Unfortunately, stupid code is ubiquitous.  At one point, someone
discovered that the telnet client in the Symbolics Lisp machine,
whenever someone logged in to a telnet server, put the user name and
password in a UDP packet and sent it to a particular port on a
particular host.  And the code had been there for years, a debugging
aid that the developer forgot to remove.

Dale