[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd under linux kernel 2.6.1

Kalin KOZHUHAROV kalin at ThinRope.net
Fri Jan 23 01:46:26 UTC 2004

Ruben Navarro Huedo wrote:
> Hello friends:
> Our system is a Debian Woody + backports running now kernel 2.6.1.
> We have to run this kernel becouse 2.4.24 has a lot of problems with ham radio
> ports.
> The problem is that ntpd is not running very well with this kernel.
> pool reports that our server is unreachable:

> Have we forgotten some kernel option?
> Our ntp version:
>
> linux:~# dpkg -l | grep ntp
> ii  ntp            4.1.2a-1.backp Daemon and utilities for full NTP v4 timekee

I use ntp-4.1.2 on linux-2.6.1 and linux-2.6.0 and it dies in somewhere between an hour and a day. No idea why, but the same version on 2.4.23 works OK.

It seems that things changed in 2.6 with the introduction of a new nanosecond call (found from other posts), but nobody seems to have problems?

I was thinkinbg to use daemontools to monitor the ntpd and restart it when it dies, but for now just a plan (Anybody with ready run scripts?)

Thats the sitiation here, Gentoo linux 1.4.

Kalin.