[ntp:questions] Re: Looking for manual to start NTP

Stephen Liu satimis at icare.com.hk
Fri Jan 23 23:45:39 UTC 2004

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your advice.

>>Debian - unstable.
>>
>>I have
>># apt-get install ntp
>>installed
>>

>The 'ntp' package does not include ntpd. You need to install either
>the ntp-simple package (if you're not running a local refclock) or the
>ntp-refclock (if you _are_ running a local refclock).

# which ntpd
/usr/sbin/ntpd

# find / -name ntp-simple
/etc/cron.daily/ntp-simple
/etc/init.d/ntp-simple
/etc/cron.weekly/ntp-simple
/usr/share/doc/ntp-simple

I think I have them installed.

# find / -name ntp-refclock
no printout

>Even though ntpdate is deprecated, you may also wish to install it
>because, AFAIK, the Debian ntp packages do not utilize the ntpd -g
>option.
>
><snip: empty /etc/ntp.conf>
>
>As a part of the installation debconf should prompt you for the time
>servers that you wish to use. But this will not happen unless you
>install one fof the ntp daemon packages.
>
><snip>

Sorry I have no idea to get 'ntp' started.  On Gnome desktop I am
running local clock.  What I expect to run is twin clock, one local
clock and a clock of Edmonton, Canada.

Thanks

B.R.
Stephen