[ntp:questions] Re: linux system clock egregiously slow!

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Fri Jan 23 10:27:11 UTC 2004

>Hal> Not if your system is using the standard spread spectrum anti-EMI
>Hal> clock generation hacks.  (I'm beginning to feel like a broken
>Hal> record.)
>
>If it is, shouldn't I see my clock measurement vary randomly around
>the target frequency?

I think the modulation frequency is ballpark of 30 KHz.  The deviation
is only a fraction of a percent. Handwave.  That's my memory from
scanning a data sheet or several a long time ago.

You might be able to measure it if you had a solid reference to compare
it against.  It won't be easy with a normal OS and typical hardware.
(You might be able to use something like the A/D in the audio
system as a reference clock.)