[ntp:questions] Re: Looking for manual to start NTP

Stephen Liu satimis at icare.com.hk
Sat Jan 24 08:43:38 UTC 2004

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your detail advice.

- snip -

>># which ntpd
>>/usr/sbin/ntpd
>>
>># find / -name ntp-simple
>>

>Try this: dpkg -l ntp ntp-simple

# dpkg -l ntp ntp-simple
uppercase=bad)
ii  ntp            4.1.2a-2       Daemon and utilities for full NTP v4
timekee
ii  ntp-simple     4.1.2a-2       NTP v4 daemon for simple systems

>- snip -
>The Debian package manager will automatically start ntpd after the
>package in installed. Assuming, of course, that the installation
>succeeded. You should not have to do anything other than install the
>package and provide the names of the time-servers that you want to use
>when prompted during the installation process.
>
>Does 'ps ax | grep ntpd' show anything? (I don't recall if you mentioned
>this earlier)

# ps ax | grep ntpd
no printout

>>On Gnome desktop I am running local clock. What I expect to run is
>>twin clock, one local clock and a clock of Edmonton, Canada.
>>

>ntpd != your desktop clock

What can I do if I need to read Edmonton (Canada) simultaneously?

>There is no ntp man page, but 'man ntp' should display the ntptime man page.

Yes.
# man ntp
No manual entry for ntp

>Man pages, at least in category 1 and 8, usually have the same name as
>the piece of software that they are documenting. So for ntpd try: 'man
>ntpd'

Yes
# man ntpd
works

>BTW: You can see the list of man pages in any installed package with the
>following command:
>
>	dpkg -L package-name | grep man

noted with thanks

>The ntpd man page should be available if you have installed one of the
>ntp daemon packages.
>
>BTW: The NTP Project releases all of the NTP documentation in HTML
>format. You may find a link to the Official NTP Documentation at
>http://www.ntp.org/documentation.html

Noted.

>On a properly configured Debian system you _will_ be prompted for
>the time servers to use when you install the ntp package and one of
>the supporting ntp daemon packages (e.g. ntp-simple). And a suitable
>ntp.conf is generated during the installation process. In my experience
>this just works.
>
>You may reconfigure ntp-simple (as root) with the following command:
>
>	dpkg-reconfigure -p low ntp-simple
>
>If you feel that your ntp package installation failed you may re-install
>them with the following command:
>
>	apt-get --reinstall install ntp ntp-simple

Shall I reinstall 'ntp-simple' because of following shown on above

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed

>If this does not work there may be some other issues with your Debian
>installation that need to be addressed.
>
>Please feel free to stop by the NTP IRC channel (#ntp on
>irc.freenode.net) for assistance.

B.R.
Stephen