[ntp:questions] Re: Motorola Oncore M12 driver questions

reg at orion.dwf.com reg at orion.dwf.com
Fri Jan 23 18:36:46 UTC 2004

In article <400fa2d0.0 at entanet>,
 "Chris Stenton" <jacs at gnome.co.uk> writes:

><reg at orion.dwf.com> wrote in message news:bunscg$de9$1 at iruka.swcp.com...
>> >
>> >With an M12 Oncore (not M12+ or M12T) you will probably have to turn
>> >off the hardware site survey or else ntp will never lock.  If it just
>> >shows stratum 16 for hours you have this problem.  If this happens you
>> >can just fill in the lat/lon/elevation numbers yourself and select
>> >"Mode 1".
>> >

>> Fixed in the current BitKeeper Sources for ntp.
>>

>Reg,
>
>I know it will vary between sites but how long are you finding it takes to
>complete the site survey with the fixed code?
>
>Chris

If you look at the beginning of the code, it says that both the Hardware Site Survey
and the Software equivalent take the average of 10000 (at 1/s) fixes.

This comes out to about 2h45m.

You can then use the result of that pass as input in you ntp.oncore.0 file, so
that later startups will only take a minute or so.

[[ I in fact used the SHMEM interface and the plot programs to average for several
days, and have used those numbers for the past several years ]]

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com