[ntp:questions] Re: No recovery from connection loss

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Fri Jan 23 20:37:35 UTC 2004

"Darren Dunham" <ddunham at redwood.taos.com> wrote in message
news:WQeQb.14997$8F2.1197 at newssvr27.news.prodigy.com...
> [...]
It

> >> When you get the connection back, is it with the same address, or does
> >> your host IP change?
>
> > It's almost always a different IP address.  The interface is using
PPPoE.

> That's the issue then.  It's not the temorary loss of connectivity, it's
> the loss of the bound IP address.  Restarting the server will have it
> rebind to the (new) local address.
>
> The current versions of ntpd do not handle IP address changes
> automatically.

Many people have asked this question and the answer was always "script
ntpdc to remove and re-add the server association". Somehow you make it
sound like this is a different problem where that would not work.

(Spam Averse: you can type commands into ntpdc by hand to see if this
works before trying to wrangle the scripts. IIAMN, you have to get
authentication working for this to work at all. Turning authentication
off altogether will _not_ work; my understanding of it is that it
disables the capability but not the requirement to be authenticated.)

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink