[ntp:questions] Re: How to set up a windows 2000 workstation as a NTP time server.

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Fri Jan 23 20:48:58 UTC 2004

"Bobby" <pmpradh at accusort.com> wrote in message
news:e611f3bf.0401231215.56a27f02 at posting.google.com...
[...]
> Is it necessary that the primary windows 2000 workstation,
> which is connected to internet and get synchronized with
> time.nist.gov, has to be connected all the time?
>
> I know/guess that the answer will be yes but I would like
> to connect to time.nist.gov once day and get sync'ed.
> After that I would like this workstation server as the
> time source for rest of my windows 2000 workstations.
> Is this possible?

No. NTP is not a one-shot thing. It continuously monitors the difference
with a reference, and speeds up and slows down its own clock to better
match it. Using randomly-spaced samples would totally change the problem
to solve, and might make convergence impossible to attain.

[...]
> As Danny mentioned, there could be network issues related
> which I haven't ruled out yet.
> I get stratum of 16 .. which means server unreacheable.
>
> Why?
>
> ntpq displays as
> ntpq> pe
>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
>  ASI011177       .STEP.          16 u   78 1024   20    0.837  189474.

Octal 20 is 10000 binary. You've had a single response and then four times
nothing. Odd.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink