[ntp:questions] Re: No recovery from connection loss

Darren Dunham ddunham at redwood.taos.com
Fri Jan 23 21:06:55 UTC 2004

Maarten Wiltink <maarten at kittensandcats.net> wrote:
>> That's the issue then.  It's not the temorary loss of connectivity, it's
>> the loss of the bound IP address.  Restarting the server will have it
>> rebind to the (new) local address.
>>
>> The current versions of ntpd do not handle IP address changes
>> automatically.

> Many people have asked this question and the answer was always "script
> ntpdc to remove and re-add the server association". Somehow you make it
> sound like this is a different problem where that would not work.

I was attemtpting to describe why the restarting is working, not to
suggest that is the only workaround.

However, that's what I do.  I had older versions that would follow IP
changes, and I don't want to set up security, so I just bounce the
daemon.  :-)

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham at taos.com
Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company