[ntp:questions] Re: NTP, Unix and the 34-year itch (better read this)

Thomas A. Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sat Jan 24 00:15:04 UTC 2004

>You've got me thinking again about the roll issues. We should be able to
>compute from the origin of the Julian ers, 1.5 January 4713 to the death
>of the universe using only the additive group modulo 68 years and
>survive rollover while needing nothing except a reliable timestamp
>within 68 years of the current time.

The real problem was making the rollover only happen every 136 years in the
original protocol. You should have had it rollover every six months or so,
then all programmers would have been forced to come up with an external way
to know about what time it is :-).
--
      email: Tom.Horsley at worldnet.att.net icbm: Delray Beach, FL      |
<URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley> Free Software and Politics <<==+