[ntp:questions] Re: cross compiling ntp-4.2.0: ./ntpdc-layout: cannot execute binary file

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at ds2.pg.gda.pl
Sat Jan 24 05:25:25 UTC 2004

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Harlan Stenn wrote:

> The point of that test is to make sure the structure is aligned identically
> on all targets.
>
> If the layout differs there is a problem that must be solved, as we are
> talking about a "network" data structure.

 Cross-compiles are special -- people who run them need to be aware of the
shortcomings.  They are typically used for hosts that have inadequate
performance or lack resources or environment to do a natve build, which is
e.g. the case with embedded systems.  But I observe even with embedded
systems people tend to grab binaries as long as they are available from
somewhere.  They do own builds only as the last resort.

 Then do we want to test every system out there or only track down
compiler incompatibilities?  If the latter, then sooner or later someone
will run a native build in a given configuration and the problem will be
seen.  If the former, then we may still build ntpdc-layout with the
cross-compiler and ask the user to run it on the host system at the
conclusion of the build.  Alternatively, such a test could be embedded
into standard programs from the ntp distribution and invoked at a startup,
returning a failure in case of a mismatch.

  Maciej