[ntp:questions] Re: How to set up a windows 2000 workstation as a NTP time server.

Jan Ceuleers janspam.ceuleers at computer.org
Sat Jan 24 11:35:04 UTC 2004

On 23 Jan 2004 12:15:37 -0800, pmpradh at accusort.com (Bobby) wrote:

>Is it necessary that the primary windows 2000 workstation,
>which is connected to internet and get synchronized with
>time.nist.gov, has to be connected all the time?

No, it is not. Results will be better if it is though.

>I know/guess that the answer will be yes but I would like
>to connect to time.nist.gov once day and get sync'ed.
>After that I would like this workstation server as the
>time source for rest of my windows 2000 workstations.
>Is this possible?

Yes, this is possible. However, in order to do this you must declare
the local clock as a possible synchronisation source on the primary
machine. The reason is that ntpd will not serve time to others if it
considers itself to be unsynchronised, which would be the case if it
has lost connectivity to its own time server.

So: declare the local clock as a possible synchronisation source
thusly:

server 127.127.1.0

In order to keep the local clock from being believed even during times
when the internet-based servers are reachable, you should also fudge
the local clock to a high stratum:

fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

Cheers, Jan

--