[ntp:questions] Re: ntp? return value for use in scripts

David Wuertele dave-gnus at bfnet.com
Mon Jan 26 23:07:25 UTC 2004

Maarten> However, I have my doubts as to the desirability of such a
Maarten> scheme, not so much the individual steps as their being
Maarten> grouped together.

Why is grouping a problem?

Maarten> It seems to me that the first can safely be left to ntpd
Maarten> itself (but be sure to use a version that does it; not all
Maarten> do),

The only way I saw for ntpd to do this was to use the dosynctodr
functionality, but my kernel doesn't support this.

Maarten> and the second is done at bootup anyway and need not be
Maarten> repeated afterwards.

The crystal driving my TOY chip is spec'd to be more accurate than the
one driving my CPU, so if ntpd is not able to discipline my system
clock using the internet, the system time will drift relative to the
TOY chip.  So I want to periodically set the system time to the TOY
time.  The only other way I can see to discipline my system clock
would be to write a reference driver for my TOY chip, but since it
only ticks off with 1 second resolution, people on this list told me I
shouldn't use it.