[ntp:questions] Peer configuration question?

Nicholas Garfield Nicholas.Garfield at cern.ch
Thu Jan 29 13:39:59 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I have two stratum 1 servers which are each connected to Trimble Accutime
GPS receivers.  Then two more servers use these sources as stratum 2
servers.
I have been reading the NTP FAQ Section 6.2. Advanced Configuration, however
I am unsure of the configuration.

(1) For the stratum 1 servers, should there be a peering relationship
between them?

ie on server 1 config is

server 127.127.29.0 prefer minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 #ACCUTIME
peer 192.168.17.69 version 4 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 #SERVER 2

On server 2 config is

server 127.127.29.0 prefer minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 #ACCUTIME
peer 192.168.18.69 version 4 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 #SERVER 1

Also, would someone be kind enough to clarfiy whether or not the "prefer"
keyword is necessary here.  I figure (probably incorrectly) that I would
prefer the time to come from the accutime, but how would this work with the
idea of selecting the "best" clock.

(2) Similarly the config for the stratum 2 servers uses peering.

I am not 100% clear what the difference between a "server" declaration and a
"peer" declaration is.  When a server and a peer is specified how does ntp
choose which is preferred?

Thankyou in advance to anyone who can explain clearly when/where the peer
and prefer statements should/should not be used.

Regards

Nick