[ntp:questions] Re: Dopey selection of server

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sat Jan 31 19:51:56 UTC 2004

Christopher,

You drive a car, right? You're on a busy interstate going 70 mph behind
an 18-wheeler a few car lengths ahead of you. Suddenly, he spots a radar
and slows to 55. You need to stomp on the brakes, but your speedometer
works only once every 17 minutes. Get the idea? Check the loopstats and
look for frequency wiggles. See the frequeny stability displayed in the
rv billboard; it should be well below 1 PPM on the quiet interstate. It
can take several hours to recover from a temperature or frequency warp
or a crazy truck driver.

I understand you want to use the stratum-2 servers normally with backup
a specific stratum-1 server only if the stratum-2 servers somehow become
unfaithful. Your billboard shows all servers have survived the selection
and clustering algorithms. Their offsets are processed by the combining
algorithm with weights depending on synchronization distance. The
distance does depend on stratum, but also roundtrip delay, dispersion
and aggregate jitter.

My point here is that the combining scheme is not an either-or choice,
but a weighted combination in which stratum is one of the components of
the weight function. You could specify "tinker floor 2" in the
configuration file and ntpd will not use the stratum-1 server even if it
is available. It might in fact even use the stratum-1 server if less
than three stratum-2 servers are available, but that behavior has not
been tested at length. The "*" means nothing except that the associated
statistical variables, including distance, are inherited to pass on to
possible dependent clients.

I could change the distance function or even make it tinkerable.
However, it is necessary that all NTP servers and clients in the
hierchical NTP subnet use the same function; otherwise, the subnet could
become unstable. If you did make the distance function prefer a higher
or equal stratum rather than a lower, the subnet would very much indeed
form a timing loop, just like a broken Bellman-Ford routing algorithm.

Dave