[ntp:questions] Bought a GPS receiver--What next?

W. D. NewsGroups at US-Webmasters.com
Mon Nov 1 10:11:59 UTC 2004

Hi Folks,

I bought this Motorola Oncore GT+ unit from
the affable Mr. John Gibbons:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5728147332

It starts blinking its pulse-per-second blue LED just a
few seconds after the power is turned on, and sounds in
sync with WWV on 5 mhz.

I've searched through lots of documentation on how to get
NTP (on FreeBSD) to use the PPS signal it generates, but I have
a few questions.

First of all, this page seems to be the most complete
page for configuring GPS:
http://www.wh7n.net/refclock/clock2.php

He says that you need to rebuild the kernel, but others
say that it's possible to get better accuracy if you don't.
What's the real, full story?

Somewhere I read that you need to load the following
driver:

   /usr/src/contrib/ntp/ntpd/refclock_oncore.c

Where does it need to be loaded?  Why isn't there a
reference to it on the Pilikia page?  Are there
any other things I need to know about getting
this receiver integrated?

Also, once everything is configured properly is it
possible to talk to this unit to find out my
latitude, longitude and elevation?  How many satellites
it sees?

Thanks kindly for your advice!

--
Start Here to Find It Fast!™ ->