[ntp:questions] Bought a GPS receiver--What next?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Nov 1 11:34:55 UTC 2004

At 4:11 AM -0600 2004-11-01, W. D. wrote:

>  He says that you need to rebuild the kernel, but others
>  say that it's possible to get better accuracy if you don't.
>  What's the real, full story?

	For FreeBSD, you do not need to rebuild your kernel, if you want
refclock support in your NTP server.  The kernel should already have
everything you need in this respect.

>  Somewhere I read that you need to load the following
>  driver:
>
>     /usr/src/contrib/ntp/ntpd/refclock_oncore.c

	Right, this would be a natural part of building "ntpd", the NTP
daemon.  It will need to be built with refclock support for the
Oncore, which the default standard ntpd provided by FreeBSD may not
be configured to do.

	Unfortunately, building the version of ntpd in the ports
subsystem probably won't be configured for refclock support, either.

	You'll need to download the latest version from
<http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Main/SoftwareDownloads>.  The tarball
you download should give you the information you need to build and
install your own version of ntpd that is properly built to
incorporate refclock support for your Oncore device.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755