[ntp:questions] New to NTP on Linux

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus20041103T095642 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Wed Nov 3 18:14:47 UTC 2004

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor at invalid.com> writes:
> One minor point - and it probably doesn't apply - my Garmin hand-held GPS
> (GPS 12 XL) can't output serial data at the 1 per second required - you
> can't make the sentences short enough.  This seems to preclude using it as
> a serial port reference source.  It doesn't have PPS at all.

Even then the Garmin-12xl time, as reported on the serial port, has a
nasty sawtooth of around 1-2 seconds offset from real time.  There are
hacks to get around that sawtooth when running with the garmin
proprietary comm protocol, but under NMEA one just has to filter
heavily and hope for the best.

        http://www.jensar.us/~bob/garmin/
        http://www.jensar.us/~bob/garmin/ntp-4.0.99k-garmin.patch

-wolfgang