[ntp:questions] Re: How to use ntpd as a sntp server?

Jan Ceuleers janspam.ceuleers at computer.org
Wed Nov 3 19:35:18 UTC 2004

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 14:01:15 -0500, "Wagener, Brian H"
<brian.h.wagener at lmco.com> wrote:

>Since it seems that the sntp server that is included in the ntp distro is broken, and recommended not be used.  How can I do this with ntpd.
>This is for a couple of embedded machines that I want one machine to have a time server on it to keep both machines in sync.  It is more important that they remain in sync than have the correct time.  I tried using ntpd on the server, but it won't let the other client sync to it because it says it doesn't have a low enough stratum, and no reference time.  I just want it to return its current time, and not worry about the quality of the time it is returning.  How can I do this?
>Thanks,

Brian,

(Please set your news reader to properly limit the line length; the
above is now very hard to read)

If you want ntpd to serve time while it is itself not synced to a
refclock or to another server, you must configure the local clock as a
dummy refclock. This is done by including the following line in your
ntp.conf:

server 127.127.1.0

In order to make it abundantly clear to any passing would-be clients
that the time served by this instance of ntpd is not of very high
quality, you should also assign a high stratum value to this local
clock. The consensus seems to be that a stratum value of 10 or higher
is suitable for this purpose. This is done by including the following
line in ntp.conf:

fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

Once the above two lines have been added and ntpd restarted, it should
start serving time

Hope this helps.

Jan