[ntp:questions] Re: Announcement: Australian NTP servers

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Nov 4 10:46:58 UTC 2004

At 7:37 AM +0000 2004-11-04, David J Taylor wrote:

>  I am /not/ directly linking to any lists as you suggested, simply using
>  Google.  If one UDEL page is now saying it is obsolete, then shouldn't the
>  other UDEL pages also contain "out-of-date" notices or even automatic
>  redirection?

	It is up to Dr. Mills to update those pages.  He has apparently
updated the parent page, but not yet the pages that it used to refer
to.

	There's not much we can do about this.  With the assistance of
Dr. Mills, we have moved most of the operational content from
www.ntp.org over to ntp.isc.org, and we are putting up appropriate
automatic redirections in those cases.  But we have never had the
ability to update Dr. Mills' pages within his own private webspace.

>  Is there anything that can be done either with the new pages (e.g. add
>  keywords, use heading 1 tags) or the old pages (e.g. prevent robot
>  indexing) to raise the search results rating for the more recent
>  information?

	Google makes a point of ignoring all this kind of stuff, and if
you find a way to hijack their system, they take a very dim view of
what you've done and your Google ranking usually gets depressed very
far below what it otherwise would have been.

	Trust me, you *really* don't want to get into a ranking war with them.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755