[ntp:questions] a couple of questions

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Nov 4 11:22:51 UTC 2004

At 11:12 AM +0100 2004-11-04, Folkert van Heusden wrote:

>                 2. when one uses an atomic clock, should one still use 3
>  of them because of fals tickers?

	If you want to protect yourself against falsetickers, you have to
use at least four.  See
<http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/DesigningYourNTPNetwork>.

>  3. when using a pc as a kind of proxy, e.g.: it runs ntpd and connects
>  to 4 upstream ntp-servers, and all clients connect to this one system.
>  should one still preferably have 3 proxy-systems instead of 1? or only
>  when the upstream link is likely to be broken in some cases?

	I think these questions are best answered by directing you to
read the stuff at
<http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/DesigningYourNTPNetwork>, and
pay special attention to 4.4 and 4.5.

>                                                   8. are there any
>  documents describing best practices for setting up a time server for an
>  intranet? i'm currently looking into an intranet with aprox 5000
>  computers (windows/novell/linux/solaris) that need to sync themselves.

	I'm not aware of anything specifically oriented in this
direction.  If you find anything, please let us know.

>  8. about peering servers: should they peer if they use the same
>  upstream-servers? or in any case?

	Yes.  See

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755