[ntp:questions] Re: too many recvbufs allocated (40)

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Thu Nov 4 14:12:16 UTC 2004

Fei Wu <fxw115 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am running ntp4.2.0 on FreeBSD 5.1, with a CDMA
> clock as external clock. The CDMA clock works in
> truetime mode, so I use the simplest ntp.conf
> configuration:
>
> server 127.127.5.0
> fudge 127.127.5.0 refid cdma
>
> When ntpd get started, it says:
> Nov  3 16:15:45 t103 ntpd[525]: ntpd 4.2.0 at 1.1161-r
> Wed Nov  3 16:05:16 GMT 2004 (1)
> Nov  3 16:15:46 t103 ntpd[525]: too many recvbufs
> allocated (40)
>
> And the ntpd occupied above 90% cpu time. I also run
> it in debug mode, the results are:
>
> t103# /usr/local/bin/ntpd -dd
> ntpd 4.2.0 at 1.1161-r Wed Nov  3 16:05:16 GMT 2004 (1)

snip

> refclock_open: fd 12 modem status 0x147

If I interpret the modem status correctly, DSR is on (0x100),
so refclock_open will turn off CLOCAL.

> addto_syslog: too many recvbufs allocated (40)
> addto_syslog: too many recvbufs allocated (40)
> addto_syslog: too many recvbufs allocated (40)
>

> Then I switched to ntp4.1.1b-a, the error messages
> are: refclock_newpeer:clock type 5 invalid.
> configuration of 127.127.5.0 failed.

That means you didn't build it with support for mode 5, CLOCK_TRUETIME.

> I used to have no problem with this setup, but I do
> not know why this happened recently. Appreciate if
> anyone can help me on it.

Judging from your other messages, you've been playing with PPS.
If you have a PPS signal connected to DCD on the serial port,
it might be causing a hangup if CLOCAL is off, which could be
the problem.

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for