[ntp:questions] Re: another question

Brian Utterback Brian.Utterback at Sun.removeme.COM
Thu Nov 4 17:20:46 UTC 2004

Folkert van Heusden wrote:
> What are the odds that a server running ntpd which is connected to, say, 4
> upstream-servers becoming a falseticker?

I am not sure that "odds" is appropriate in this context. If everything works
correctly, then it should never become a falseticker. If there is a systematic
failure somewhere, then it could become a falseticker. The hope is that with
proper design, a single failure will not lead to this situation.

For instance, suppose someone installs a router that routes outgoing traffic
over a slow PPP link but incoming traffic is over Gigabit ethernet. If all the
upstream servers are contacted over this configuration, it will become a
falseticker.

--
blu

Power corrupts. PowerPoint corrupts absolutely.