[ntp:questions] Re: Why Root is BRST and Normal User is UTC?

Michael Fuhr mfuhr at fuhr.org
Thu Nov 4 21:41:31 UTC 2004

leonardomachado at gmail.com (Leonardo) writes:

> When I am root I get the right BRST time. When I am a normal user I
> get UTC time. Why that? I have no Alias for the date command.
>
> $ date
> Thu Nov  4 21:21:12 UTC 2004
> $ su
> # date
> Thu Nov  4 19:21:16 BRST 2004

Does one of these users have the TZ environment variable set?
Run "echo $TZ" in both shells and see what you get.

Another possibility is that a timezone file is readable only by
root.  You could trace the "date" command to see what files it wants
to access.  The command for doing a trace differs from system to
system: strace, ktrace, trace, truss, etc.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/