[ntp:questions] No Connection to NTPD on W2K from Linux

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sun Nov 7 20:55:21 UTC 2004

At 9:40 PM +0100 2004-11-07, jan-peter.ruehmann at debitel.net wrote:

>  The other microsoft PC´s can connect without problems (Nettime, NTP
>  and Windows default service on W98SE, W2K and WinNT), only the Linux
>  PC´s saying that the stratum is to high (16).

	Stratum 16 means that your local server is not synchronized to an
upstream time server.  I imagine that the other PCs will sync to it
because they don't check the Stratum, perhaps because they are simple
SNTP clients (and if they're using the Microsoft code, then they're
also broken).

	A real NTPv3 or NTPv4 client will refuse to sync to a Stratum 16 server.

	So, I think the real problem to solve is getting your local time
server correctly configured so that it is properly sync'ing to one or
more upstream time servers.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755