[ntp:questions] a couple of questions

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Nov 7 21:04:16 UTC 2004

"Folkert van Heusden" <folkert at vanheusden.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.22.1099571383.537.questions at lists.ntp.isc.org>...
> >>  	If you want to protect yourself against falsetickers, you have to
> >> use
> >>  at least four.  See
> >>  <http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/DesigningYourNTPNetwork>.
> > 	Sorry, make that
> > <http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/SelectingOffsiteNTPServers>.
>
> Thanks, but what I meant is: are atomic clocks so much reliable that one
> still needs 4 of them?

You are asking the wrong question. It's not a matter of whether or not
an atomic clock is reliable (it is) but a matter of whether it's
reachable. If that segment of the network goes down it doesn't matter
whether or not it's accurate, you still get nothing from it so you are
forced to turned to other sources while it's unavailable to you.

Danny