[ntp:questions] Re: GPS signal quality

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut at wollmersdorfer.at
Wed Nov 10 20:18:49 UTC 2004

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

> It sounds very much as if you have a poor location for your antenna!

Yes, my office is in the basement.

> Can you place the antenna on the
> highest point of the building you are in?

Maybe. I would need to ask the owner of the building.

> I have learned from experience that even foliage will block the GPS
> signal!   Now that most of the leaves have fallen from the trees,

That's an additional problem. Now the tree in front of the receiver is
half-leaved, the others are uncovered.

Now in the evening (21:00 local time) conditions seem better with
signals from 3-5 satellites.

> the computer hardware and the operating system also affect the performance!

Via Epia ME6000 (600 Mhz) with Linux and _not_ dedicated.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer