[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd and ACTS

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 10 23:14:03 UTC 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:44:55 -0600, Walter L. Preuninger II wrote:

> It is not possible to sync to a server
> on the internet. Our president does not want any of our internal machines
> connected to the internet. In fact, I have to go to a completely different
> office just to send this.... Only dedicated computers have internet
> access.

We used to have an IT director like that, but fortunately he retired in
1999, and we ignored him for some years prior to that.

Investigate many-to-one NAT firewalls. No inbound access is possible
through one. Some NTP servers out there don't like NAT - they verify the
source port - but many are OK.

Your president is a dinosaur and should be buried. If this doesn't happen,
I suggest a move to a 21st Century company.

Regards, Ian