[ntp:questions] Re: DCF77 "jonathan" improvement?

Tue Nov 16 14:22:42 UTC 2004

Helmut Wollmersdorfer <helmut at wollmersdorfer.at> writes:

> BTW: Cabling seems important. First I used an ordinary 4 m telephon cable for
> serial, hanging very near to my CRT and a 433 MHz wireless device. In this
> configuration radioclkd periodically lost signals -
> around every few minutes. Now I use a shielded 7 m telephon cable and there is
> no signal loss (location of the receiver is 1.2 m from CRT, old  building with
> 1 m walls of solid bricks, similar buildings around, Vienna/Austria, 600 km
> apart from the sender.)

Serial cables were always required to be shielded. Interestingly todays
industry seems ignorant on these issues: I bought a pair of cheap active
speakers for the PC, and they used unshielded cables. Now I can hear about
anything... ;-)

Regards,
Ulrich