[ntp:questions] Re: PPSkit and Linux 2.6?

Tue Nov 16 14:45:45 UTC 2004

John Ackermann N8UR <jra at febo.com> writes:

> Sorry for the message here, but the references Google led me to left me
> uncertain...
>
> What's the status (if any) of PPS kernel discipline for NTP and Linux 2.6.x?

"undecided" ;-)

> I see a PPSkit-lite at kernel.org, but the last upate was in April, and the
> comments warn of seriously alpha status.

Yes. However I got no negative feedback at all, so I guess it's "very stable"
;-)

> One of my two NTP servers* currently runns version 2.4.21 with PPSkit applied,
> but now I need to upgrade it to 2.6 to support another application.  What's
> the best course, given that I have a good PPS signal (from an HP Z3801A GPSDO)
> available?

Please awaken me, if a nanosecond clock has made it in to Linux 2.6. Learning
from the past, maintaining the nanosecond clock for all possible platforms
where Linux runs on is impossible to do for me. Therefore I removed the
nanosecond support form the patch, as well as things that won't work
without. The remainder is there for download. Solely for your pleasure.

Yes, I intend to work on it again during winter if time permits.

Regards,
Ulrich