[ntp:questions] Re: Stratum?

Jan jandersen at informatica.com
Thu Nov 18 13:05:02 UTC 2004

Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:02:27 +0200, Tapio Sokura <oh2kku at iki.fi>
> wrote:
>

>>Jan wrote:
>>
>>>I have an AIX server that I use as the NTP server on our LAN, and a
>>>number of clients running a number of UNIXes. All of this seems to works
>>>fine, except for the two that run RedHat Linux - they insist that our
>>>NTP server is not acceptable because it is 'stratum 16'.
>>
>>I guess the key here is Red Hat Linux. At some point Red Hat Linux
>>(remove "restrict default..." lines°
>>This indeed is FAQ, if this was the reason to your problem, but I'm not
>>sure whether it is in the FAQ..
>

> Another point is that the default Red Hat firewall configuration is
> not to allow any NTP packets in. The OP should look into the ipchains
> configuration (or whichever firewall front-end he is using) and open
> port 123/udp.
>
> Jan

Apparently I don't receive all emails from this list - this is a problem we
have on our LAN: some mails get dropped.

thanks for your help - unfortunately it doesn't solve my problem. I just
installed SuSE 8 on a new server, and it behaves in the same way, so it's
not just RedHat.

I checked /etc/ntp.conf for anything like 'restrict ...', but there is
nothing; am I looking in the right place?

Also, I haven't got ipchains, but it turns out that iptables is installed.
However, there doesn't seem to be any restrictions on ports in place.

Maybe I'm just clueless; though I have worked with computers for >25 years.
But perhaps this is the problem ;-)

/jan