[ntp:questions] Re: TimeZone Files

Koos van den Hout koos at cs.uu.nl
Thu Nov 18 15:43:45 UTC 2004

Raghav K <raghavk at myw.ltindia.com> wrote:

> I'm aware of /etc/localtime, however this applicaiton of the NTP Client if for an embedded system. I cannot afford to have all the files present in /usr/share/zoneinfo. I'd ideally like to generate these files if such a thing is possible.,

They are generated from sourcefiles describing historical timezone
changes in each timezone.

All the libraries do is read /etc/localtime. That file is read as
'rules for local time representation'. What the configuration programs
do is make /etc/localtime a symlink to the right file. If you don't
want to populate /usr/share/zoneinfo, copy the right file at
installation time to /etc/localtime and be done with it.

(Oh.. if you are low on space for an embedded system, look for 'uclibc')

                                          Koos van den Hout

Koos van den Hout, herding Suns and networks as koos at cs.uu.nl
+31-30-2534104              PGP keyid 0x27513781
http://idefix.net/~koos/            Use PGP when possible!
Camp Wireless, wireless Internet access at campsites http://camp-wireless.org/