[ntp:questions] ntpdc vs iburst

Nagy Bela belus at petra.hos.u-szeged.hu
Thu Nov 18 21:29:18 UTC 2004

  Hello all,

  As I mentioned it in my earlier posts, I would like to synchronize
my (only one) PC's clock. What makes it tricky is that the PC is connected
to the internet only for 5-25 minutes one-three times a day
(every second week).
  Now I have found out the following solutions:
A) The ntpd is started from ip-up (when the computer has finished the ppp
negotiation and already connected). Plus several servers
with iburst in ntp.conf. And ip-down stops ntpd. It works, I tested it.
B) The ntpd starts up with the computer with only one server: 127.127.0.1.
The ip-up adds several server with ntpdc's addserver command.
And the ip-down removes all of them except for the local clock.
The only one drawback of this option is that this way ntpd
sets the clock a bit slowly.
C) A simple ntpdate from ip-up.

My questions (may seem to be trivial, but I am not an expert
in ntpd; perhaps these informations might be useful for others too):
1) Are there any other options?
2) What is the 'best' and why?
3) Is there any disadvantage of A) against B)?
4) Could I combine the iburst solution with the local clock solution?
That is, is there a way to specify iburst in ntpdc?
If not, please regard this email as a feature wish.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,
B.