[ntp:questions] Re: Stratum?

Jan jandersen at informatica.com
Fri Nov 19 13:00:54 UTC 2004

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> Jan wrote:
>
>  > I'm sorry to post this question, which I'm sure must be a FAQ - I
>  > haven't been able to find any answer in what docs I have read, though.
>  > This is the situation:
>  >
>  > I have an AIX server that I use as the NTP server on our LAN, and a
>  > number of clients running a number of UNIXes. All of this seems to
>  > works fine, except for the two that run RedHat Linux - they insist
>  > that our NTP server is not acceptable because it is 'stratum 16'.
>  >
>  > So how can I set the stratum on the server? I'm sure there must be a
>  > parameter...
>  >
> One other possibility is that your AIX server really is stratum 16
> because it is not synchronized.  Not likely however; if this were so,
> you  should have problems with all the other clients as well.

First of all - thanks to all who have helped so far. I have had some
problems with my mail client, but it seems to be sorted out now.

I haven't had the chance to try out all the suggestions, but since you
mentioned it, I have checked what the public servers I use tell: they
all seem to be stratum 16! Is this something in my settings? All the
server names come from the public list of stratum 2 servers.

/jan