[ntp:questions] Re: Can you test my server please.

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Tue Nov 23 01:28:08 UTC 2004

Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
>Simon Lyall wrote:
>>The IP of the server is 202.49.59.7 [3] . I would be interested to know
>>what it does both as the sole server configured or when other servers are
>>configured as well.

>I tried it.  Here's the how and the what happened.
[..]
>22 Nov 19:37:51 ntpdate[17894]: no server suitable for synchronization found
>sunblok_$
>I hope this exercise is useful for something.

Thanks. It looks like the server I am using just doesn't reply when it's
sent ntp (as opposed to sntp) requests. A test with a simple sntp client I
have seems to work correctly though. I've not had any reports from clients
other than stock ntpd and my simple sntp script though.

If I want to fool full ntp clients it looks like I'll have to hack the
stock program (or perhaps the OpenBSD one).

Simon J. Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Mail: simon at darkmere.gen.nz
"Inside me Im Screaming, Nobody pays any attention."  | eMT.

I've seen things you people can't imagine. Chimneysweeps on fire over the roofs
of London. I've watched kite-strings glitter in the sun at Hyde Park Gate. All
these things will be lost in time, like chalk-paintings in the rain. Time for
my nap.
             -- Julie Andrews, Bladestroller ( by Peter da Silva )