[ntp:questions] Re: Can you test my server please.

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Tue Nov 23 23:04:48 UTC 2004

Harlan Stenn <stenn at maccarony.ntp.org> wrote:
>Are you sure you don't have a firewall/ipfw/ipchains problem?

When I (and another person) query using a simple sntp client then it seems
to work okay. All that my client is is the msntp [1] program slightly
(about 4 lines) modified to always return the same time and to listen on a
different port. The iptables rule is just:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p udp --dport 123 -d 202.49.59.7 -i eth0 -j
REDIRECT --to-port 11123

The server definately notices the queries coming in and complains they are
the wrong length (can't check the exact error message from here). So I am
suspecting a bug with msntp.

I've not had people try anything other than standard ntpd[ate] and the
python script against it though.

[1] - http://www.hpcf.cam.ac.uk/export/

Simon J. Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Mail: simon at darkmere.gen.nz
"Inside me Im Screaming, Nobody pays any attention."  | eMT.

"Those who sacrifice sound quality for hard disk space deserve neither."