[ntp:questions] Re: Can you test my server please.

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Tue Nov 23 23:10:07 UTC 2004

Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
>And how is returning a completely bogus time better?  The admins will
>probably still not notice!  I don't think there is a standards compliant
>NTP or SNTP implementation that will accept a time six years in the
>past.  The clients will continue to poll the server and just ignore the
>replies. . . .

Standards complient NTP or SNTP implementation won't be sending us a query
every second to start with. Also we would prefer not to break any normal
client who accidentally gets a few replies with the wrong time.

And if we are blocking them they will continue to jsut poll us and ignore
the replies anyway. So it doesn't really make thinsg any worse and at
least the queries don't reach the "proper" server.

--
Simon J. Lyall | Very Busy | Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"Inside me Im Screaming, Nobody pays any attention."  |  eMT.

"A Ponzi scheme is where you put in money in the expectation that you will
get a payout when ever-increasing numbers of people sometime in the future
put in theirs. Of course they all collapse when they run out of suckers.
The closest example I can think of is NZ Superannuation. "  - S Wrathall