[ntp:questions] Re: Can you test my server please.

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Nov 24 09:57:10 UTC 2004

At 3:10 AM +0000 2004-11-24, Harlan Stenn wrote:

>  With KOD the client does get a response, and one that is formatted in
>  such a way as any passably functioning client will see the response and
>  decide to simply go away, as opposed to continuing to ask the server
>  for the time.

	Regretfully, there are plenty of misconfigured clients which seem
to gleefully ignore KOD -- this is Netgear/UWisc all over again,
although not on the same scale, at least not yet.  Give the Debian,
NetBSD, and FreeBSD people half a chance, and we may be.

	So, the pool.ntp.org project needs another way to get these
people to stop abusing the servers, and the method being proposed by
Simon is that we give them an "obvious" bogus time reference, at
which point they hopefully decide that we're not a good time server
for them and they go away.

	Having been on the timekeepers mailing list and seeing the
traffic from the various pool member operators, I support the work
Simon is doing in this area.  I wish there was a better answer, but
so far I haven't been able to think of one.  I've been fairly silent
on this topic so far because I haven't been able to propose a better
solution to the problem.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755