[ntp:questions] Can NTP affect the time even when not running? (with platform details this time)

Parker Jones zoubidoo at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 24 11:26:16 UTC 2004

Dear all,

My hardware clock used to lose about 1 minute a week so I decided to start
using ntp.

I had problems with ntp that I haven't been able to resolve, so I have
reverted back to just the hardware clock.

But the clock now drifts (loses) several hours each day.   Is it possible
that ntp could have caused this? e.g.  a drift parameter set by ntp?

Any suggestions much appreciated,

PJ
Platform: linux Fedora Core 2, kernel 2.6.8-1.521, ntp-4.2.0-7 on NEC Versa
LX 400MHz laptop
Will post config files and logs if it helps.